Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Ahh... a new year. A good time to review the previous year and make plans for the future. I'm not making any resolutions this year. I find that resolutions are too much like rules. As soon as I mess up once, I feel like a failure. Instead, I am making a list of goals. Goals are things to work toward -- it is OK to take two steps forward and one step back on your way to a goal.
This past year I spent a lot of my time working. Most of my spare time was used to find a house, buy it, and move in. It was quite an undertaking, but it feels good to have our own home now.
Now for my goals for the coming year (and what I will probably spend most of my time blogging about for the next year as well).
1. Produce more of our own food. I want to build a raised bed garden, plant fruit and nut trees, and try raising chickens this year. Also, I'd like to continue foraging and expand the amount that Charlie and I fish. I'd like to expand my knowledge of canning and also consider getting a freezer so Charlie could hunt some game. Not only is gardening/foraging a hobby of mine, but it is a good way to save money (pay off our house). Producing our own food also ensures that it is organic and safe. It helps the environment by reducing the oil used to transport what we consume. On a similar note, we are also trying to find more local sources for the food we can't produce ourselves.
2. Be more frugal and spend money wisely. Now that we have a house to pay off, I want to do the best I can to make extra payments on our principal. We have been less than frugal this past year with the extra money I made off all that overtime I worked. I know I can do better this year. Starting Monday, I am going back to working overtime again (they cut us back to 40 hours for the last couple of months). Although I'll have less time to do stuff around the house, it will give me more money to work with. I'd like to get our credit cards and one of our vehicles paid off this year -- and pay off some principal on the house.
3. Take better care of myself. I have let my diet and exercise slide lately. I also don't go to bed early enough so I don't have a chance to get enough sleep. I'd like to focus on taking care of myself with healthier food and more exercise and sleep. I already eat a lot of fruits and veggies, but I need to focus on cutting out fast food and comfort food -- particularly in the evenings after a stressful day at work. I have a treadmill now and am going to start using it. By making this a goal and not a "resolution", I'm hoping to do better over time.

These are my main goals for this year -- although I have many other things I hope to accomplish (craft projects, setting up/decorating the house, learn to bake bread, etc). I'm excited to see where this year leads me. I'm hoping for good health and safety for my family and friends -- and many happy gatherings with them this year.
I hope the same for you and yours. Happy New Year!!!

No comments: