I am finally moving forward in the wine making adventure. I ran into a bit of a snag on the whole process right at the beginning and wasn't sure what was going on.
I had everything mixed together and sealed in the bucket. I was checking in on it daily like the directions stated. The goal is to give the mixture a stir and to measure the specific gravity as the wine ferments. After a couple of days, I got worried. The specific gravity wasn't changing. In fact, nothing seemed to be happening at all. I added some yeast nutrients to see if that would help. It didn't. The only other thing I could think of was that the yeast that had come with the kit had gone bad. I had no idea how long that kit sat on the shelf before I bought it (or if it was exposed to extreme temperatures). It took me a week or so to get over to the local wine making supply store, but I finally purchased some new yeast.
The new packet of yeast did the trick! The day after I added it, I went to check on the "must", and was surprised at the change I found. The juice was bubbly and acted like champagne when I tried to measure the specific gravity (lots of fizz and bubbles). It continues to progress and tonight the specific gravity is getting closer to where I need it. Today it smells like alcohol. It is encouraging to see the change after the frustration of a couple weeks of nothing happening.
My only concern now is that I added too much yeast nutrient to the must. I don't know what that will do to the finished product -- if anything at all. Only time will tell.
Soon, I should be able to move the wine to the secondary bottle. I'll have more photos at that time.