Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend snapshots (from my cell phone)

I took a vacation day on Friday and headed to Grand Rapids.  Grand Rapids holds a special place in my heart.  Yes, my family and closest friends are there, and visiting them is very important to me.  But there is something else.  Grand Rapids has a particular "vibe" to it.  It is creative and diverse.  It has the feeling of a big city but the people are friendlier.  
I took a few snapshots with my new cell phone while my mother and I were out and about. We went to Global Infusion to get tea for kombucha making (I brought my mother some mother to make kombucha herself).  The store carries fair trade treasures from around the world and also a huge selection of tea, coffee and chocolate. 


My favorite purse came from this store.  After my first one wore out from use, I got another one.  I saw the same purse in espresso brown and almost bought it for when my current purse wears out.  I was strong though and resisted the temptation.


Mom and I also went to the Grand Rapids Art Museum to see the "Diana - A Celebration" exhibit.  I wish I could have taken photos inside, because the exhibit was very interesting.  I was, however, able to take a photo of the entry way.  Because we were there in the evening, there was a pianist and wine available as well.


This is the view directly outside of the GRAM.  On the right there is an ice skating area with free skate rentals.  The downtown area of Grand Rapids is lively and beautiful.  


My family said some magazine had listed Grand Rapids as one of the top ten cities in the U.S. that are dying out.  I was shocked!  I have to disagree with their conclusion.  Grand Rapids is alive and well -- and getting better day by day.  New businesses are popping up, and old buildings are being renovated and revived.  That is impressive considering the horrible economy in Michigan right now.  


Anyway, I sound like an advertisement -- I know.  It is probably odd, considering how much I enjoy living out in the country.
I am back home now and spent a relaxing morning cleaning and sorting through last years seeds to see what I need to buy.  The sun is streaming in to the south side of our house -- keeping the house warm and saving on fuel oil.  Charlie and I are going to get motivated and get out of the house.  I think we are going to use a gift card from Christmas and eat out.

No comments: