Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wonderclean!

I have tried out my new time-saving, non-electric, handy dandy new gadget that I got.  "What is it?" you ask.  It's the "Wonderclean"
It is a miniature washing machine that works with hot water and a good seal.  You throw some clothes in, add a little soap and the right amount of hot water.  Close it up nice and tight and pressure builds up inside.  Then you crank the handle for about 2 minutes.  Voila!  The clothes are washed.  Well, almost.  Then you have to rinse the soap out of your clothes, wring them out, then hang them up to dry.  
I have been frustrated with having to go to the laundromat.  Sometimes I only need a clean pair of jeans or some underwear.  The laundromat is expensive and boring and takes up my valuable time.  But up until now it has been inevitable.  Then I saw the Wonderclean in the Lehman's catalogue (they have cool stuff for living off the grid or self sufficiency).  I thought it was worth a try.  It was only $45.00.  I think it will pay for itself quickly.
So, my first experience was interesting.  Things I learned:  Wash darks alone -- they will bleed for sure (maybe my water was too hot), be prepared for some water getting spilled, rinse the soap out well.  I wish the base was a little sturdier.  It would be great if I could mount it directly to a laundry room sink (if I had one) so it didn't wobble around so much.  
On the positive side:  I don't have to spend 2-3 hours at the laundromat when I need a few clean clothes.  I will save money.  I'll use less electricity.  This would have been handy during my time in Mali.  I'd like to find a good quality, good for the planet, powdered soap.  Any suggestions? 
Overall, it won't replace the laundromat for my big laundry days, but it will definitely help.

1 comment:

CountryMouse said...

What an awesome idea. I have never seen one of these but it looks to be a real help and will save some trips to the laundry for you.