Saturday, June 6, 2009

I love Saturdays

Today has been a good day so far.  I spent some time this morning cleaning up our apartment a bit.  I went to the grocery store and the farmer's market.  Then I spent the rest of my day in the garden.
I am determined not to let the weeds get the best of me this year.  Once I let them take hold they are difficult to manage all year.  If I had my own garden I would probably mulch, but since we are renting I just do what I can with a hoe.  I have grand plans for my garden when I actually have a plot that I can call my own.  I can't wait to compost!  I want to put in some more permanent plants like asparagus, rhubarb, berries, etc.  Anyway, I am done planting the garden and now I'm doing a rain dance...

Outside one of the out-buildings we have around here.  Aunt Mary's rose trees are gorgeous right now.


This week I did a mini-fast and am working on changing my eating patterns.  I found myself craving too much junk food and not enough healthy food.  When I quit eating entirely for a couple of days and just focus on drinking water/cleansing I find that healthy foods are more appealing.  Any food is appealing at that point really, so I just make sure I have the good stuff around.  You have never tasted a peach until after you haven't eaten for a couple of days!
Working in the garden is good for me too.  I've gained a lot of weight since Charlie and I got married... mostly due to my job (hey, I have to blame something other than myself, ya know?).  I sit down at a desk tied to a phone/computer for 10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week.  It is a fairly stressful job too (customer service for a gas/electric utility company in Michigan) and I tend to eat comfort foods at the end of the day.  I am working on the food part of the equation and am hoping that the long days sitting down will come to an end soon.  We have been working 50-60 hours a week for the last year.  I've heard rumors that shorter shifts are coming.  I feel like we are the only ones in Michigan who have more work than we can handle (and am not complaining about the paychecks either).
It is getting late and I need to get ready for a wedding reception.  Charlie is on his way home from work right now and we will probably be pretty busy for the rest of the weekend.  This posting has been kind of scattered, but what I meant to say is that I love Saturdays -- at least the ones that I'm not at work.

1 comment:

dizzijoi said...

Gorgeous! Our old dairy barn fell down and the walls are stone. I am going to try and get hubby to leave the one wall up and use it as a backdrop to hollyhocks and the such. I did that a few years ago when I had the rabbitry back there and it was so beautiful! But once the old barn started letting loose I had to move the rabbits out and of course not garden there.